Astor Street Opry Company
- Arts, Culture & Entertainment
The Astor Street Opry Company (ASOC) was created in 1983 as a 501(c) (3) tax-exempt organization from a grassroots effort to enrich the cultural opportunities for patrons and performers in the greater Astoria area.
The vision of ASOC was to bring a unique theater experience to Astoria, celebrate local culture, engage the audience with the actors, and provide opportunities for people of different generations to interact and collaborate, and be uniquely Astorian.
The first performance was the Broadway-Style musical melodrama Shanghaied in Astoria. This locally written play is part-vaudeville, part-soap opera, and part 1950s style Hollywood musical all combined into a fun and entertaining look at traditional Astoria cultural folklore.
What originated as a celebration of traditions in Astoria has now become a tradition itself. Next summer will celebrate the 24th year that the award winning Shanghaied has been performed in Astoria.
The ASOC have been a very important part of the performing arts community for over twenty-four years, earning many awards including the Oregon Arts Commissions Recognition of Excellence for our outstanding programming for youth and young adults. In addition SHANGHAIED IN ASTORIA has been honored by the Oregon Governors Office and Astoria City Council as a Regional Treasure worthy of preserving .
- READERS THEATER MARCH 27TH-29TH Stories of Mark Twain
- GODSPELL The Musical APRIL 24TH-26 & MAY 1ST-2ND
- Auditions for the 25th Season of SHANGHAIED IN ASTORIA MAY 16TH &17TH
- Auditions for Childrens Theater SHANGHAIED! June 6th
- The 25th Season of SHANGHAIED IN ASTORIA Opens July 9th!
Whom to Contact
- Judith NilandMangaging DirectorPhone: (503) 325-6104